Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Experience...


So I've been lazy lately. I've fallen behind on blog posts, I've not planned for next year, I've done only a little for preparing my presentation for ATIA Chicago, and I have no excuse. But that got me thinking about other summer's I've had.

As I've stated before this will be my 10th year of teaching coming up. I've taught many different students, from Kindergarten all the way up to 8th grade, as well as many different disabilities, and every summer I spent a lot of time preparing for the next year! I've created materials, I've colored folders, I've made tons and tons of pictures on Boardmaker, and I've done it all summer. Every summer, except this one... I remember back to my first classroom, and I think of coming home every night getting materials ready for the next day. Struggling to have lesson plans done each week, and and setting up my classroom. I must have changed the room around about 10 times that year (and I was teaching kids with autism so I'm not sure that was the best idea), and literally spent every spare moment getting ready for the next lesson.

So what's different? I'm not exactly sure, I just feel comfortable and ready for next year without having to spend too much time getting ready. That's not to say I'm not learning a ton this summer and getting ready to try all sorts of new stuff next year, but I'm not stressed and feeling overwhelmed. Maybe it has to do with mastering behavior management skills, or not having to learn a new curriculum, but it's a different feeling this summer. And it took me almost 10 years to get here!

So, that got me thinking, are we doing new teachers a disservice by dropping them into a classroom with such little training? What about students, are we holding them back? What are your thoughts?

Patrick

Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons: Vikingg



Share this


Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers

4 comments:

  1. I do think that new teachers lose a ton of sleep inventing materials for their jobs ... and re-inventing... sleep deprivation takes its toll!
    I also think the Internet gives us all kinds of opportunities to share. If I went back in time and told a teacher "oh, you'll be able to send an activity to somebody in California in ten seconds" - and that's if it's a big file - I'd have been told, "Yer a loony!" Oh, let me send you a video that I just made...
    Helping new folks separate wheat from chaff would be useful, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links for SMARTboards. I just had one installed in my classroom the day before school was out this past year. I can't wait to get my hands on it and open up a new world of learning to my students. I teach in a high school and you know how technology grabs that generation. I hope I can WOW them with the many resources from the websites you listed. I see so much creativity and opportunity for the students to create projects and assignments. Thanks so much! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. SiouxGeonx - That's a great point about separating the wheat from chaff, there is so much that's just mediocre out there. Even just learning how to adapt materials you find to suit your needs would be better than having to create from scratch.

    Debbie - I'm glad that you enjoyed the post. I think SMARTBoards are needed in so many classrooms. Use it well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer! mba

    ReplyDelete