Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Goals vs. Standards



There is a lot of talk these days about Standards: Common Core Standards, State Standards, etc... and it's had me thinking.  What's the difference between IEP Goals & Standards?


Listening to a recent podcast - With Students in Mind, episode 7 - and Russ Goerend talks quite a lot about teaching his class to the standards and even giving grades based on standards.  And all I kept thinking was how is this any different than IEP goals?  IEP goals are just a way to measure progress, like standards.  IEP goals are monitored on a regular basis, like standards.  IEP goals are standards!


OK, so there are a few differences that I can think of Goals are individualized to each student, while standards are more generalized.  Another large difference I can think of is that Standards are shared with students, while goals are not.  Many schools are sharing standards with students, as a way to increase student success.  Why aren't we doing it with IEP goals?


I admit, this is not something I've considered very much until recently, but I think it's a conversation we need to have.  I teach students with significant cognitive disabilities and I've never done this.  And it occurs to me that maybe I should.  I'm expecting my students to "meet" standards, but they've never been told what it is that I want them to do.  Just like their peers in general education, if they don't know what they are working towards, how can they meet it?


I don't have an answer to this question at this time, but I do think it's something that we need to consider as educators, especially special educators.  I know it's something I'll be looking into!


Patrick


Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons:  BabyDinosaur


Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers