Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sabotage

When I began thinking about his post I had several different ideas in my head on what to write about. I could write about how I've used sabotage in the classroom effectively, or ineffectively. I decided instead to share on ways that I have sabotaged myself as a teacher in my classroom.

As a teacher I've was trained to handle many situations. I was trained to read curricular materials, and create those materials when none were available. I was trained to write IEP's, take data, and write observable goals. What I never was trained in was what to expect from my students. I read all the textbooks, listened to all the lectures, but never really knew what to expect. I heard stories, been to classrooms, listened to my cooperating teachers, and let their opinions influence me. I expected from my students exactly what I had been taught to expect.

I sabotaged myself, because it took me so long to realize that my assumptions were wrong. I sabotaged myself because I didn't look for the potential in every student I read an IEP. I sabotaged myself because I listened to others, instead of discovering for myself. I sabotaged myself.

With this realization in hand, I was able to see what my students could do. I was able to see why teaching reading suddenly mattered. I was able to see what skills were important. I was able to use the goals, IEP's and lectures effectively. All of our students have potential. All of our students have the right to learn as much as we can teach them. All students can and do learn.

Patrick

Share this

Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers

No comments:

Post a Comment