Monday, April 6, 2009

Collarboartion

One area that is something that I find myself struggling with from time to time is collaboration. Between IEP meetings, lesson planning, actual teaching, and whatever else teachers are required to do, collaboration can take a backseat. Since the team approach is the best way to help students with disabilities how do we make sure that we share as much information as possible? One possible solution is Google Docs.

Google Docs is a online word processor, spreadsheet and presentation creator. Using this tool I've created a spreadsheet that allows me to share with parents specific information about what activities their child does during the day, as well as the ability to share what related service providers are doing at the same time. You can actually check out the template here. Since access is global (as long as you can get to Google), and it is private (you choose who you want to share with), it is a great forum for sharing information. Not only does it allow you to share with parents, related services can see what the classroom teacher or other service providers are working on in the classroom. Collaboration on a massive scale.

Is anyone else using Google Docs in a unique way to connect with parents or professionals? Share your stories here!

Patrick

Share this

Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information. Collaboration takes a back seat at my school too. Most of the teachers feel there isn't enough time to meet. I am going to try using this program to let teachers know what goals I'm working on with my students. I'll let you know how this worked out for me.

    Sorry, I am a special education teacher and all of my students are fully included in general education. I work with 4th, 5th, and 6th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you think this will be useful. I plan on updating as I continue this process. It should be interesting! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of using Google Docs this way. I use Google Docs with my LD HS students when doing any writing task. I like to do synchronous editing. I can provide help while they are writing. On the EdTech Classroom Podcast #16 I discuss how I use Google Docs and Text-to-speech. You might find it useful.The podcast should be posted in the next day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to hearing this podcast! I have some more ideas about using Google Docs that I'll be sharing in the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my parents and staff members submit an input form when we are doing initial programming on a student's device. This gives us important info on people, places and things that are important across a student's setting. If anyone is interested in seeing my google form, which drops the info right into a spreadsheet, you can email me at werned@gm.sbac.edu and I will share a sample doc with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to school to become a special education teacher. I am currently a freshmen in college, and this is really good information to get a hold of!I have used Googledocs before, but it had never occured to me that it would be helpful as a teacher. I was wondering if any of you had anymore advice for me I would greatly appreciate it ! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anna,

    I'm so glad you found this interesting and useful. If I had one suggestion it would be to start researching how to create a Personal Learning Network (PLN). I have several previous posts on this topic (you can search for PLN to find them). If you have other questions please feel free to check e-mail me by going to my About Me Page on the right hand side.

    ReplyDelete