Sunday, August 19, 2012

You're Not Alone: Can't judge a book by it's cover


You know the saying "you can't judge a book by its cover"? I know in my heart that this is a true statement but I also know that most people do just that. They take one look at my boy and form an opinion without ever talking to him. It is so sad that many people will never get to know the real Corey. Most people can't get past the crooked glasses with stuff all over the lenses, the bad breath from chewing on stuff or the body odor when he forgets his deodorant. This is one of the things I am struggling with right now. I am trying to figure out how to combat these things...one at a time, so that Corey's freshman year of high school is not a repeat of his dismal, friendless middle school years.

I remind him verbally everyday about the deodorant and plan to have some with his resource teacher in case he forgets. I am trying to get him to carry breath spray aor gum, but he hates the taste of mint. I have been working with him to try and move him into contact lenses. Every day we pretend to put my old lenses in his eye, so that he gets used to touching his eyes. Not sure the contacts will work out but it's worth a try.

My dilemma is...what am I teaching my son by getting him to change his habits. Am I teaching him to judge people by the outside? I am concerned that he sees these changes as a way to make friends. He believes just getting contacts will make him more popular.I know this isn't true but I do believe his "nasty" glasses turn some people off. I also know that when I got contacts and my braces off in high school, my life changed dramatically for the better. Sigh...such a conundrum! What would you do?



photo credit: timuiuc via photo pin cc

Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers.