Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Creative Writing using Calendars


In another shameless steal from Caroline Musselwhite, I've been using calendars to promote creative writing in my classroom.  It started last year when I was teaching several students to write simple noun verb sentences.  I had been given a ton of old calendars from colleagues and hadn't come up with a way to use them.  Then I thought about a tip from Caroline and voila an idea was born.

It was a little hard as I had to find pictures that had some action built in, but in the long run it was worth it.  It's been a great way to increase my classroom library, and we've created a ton of fun books.  This year we've been focusing on adjectives and the pictures in the various calendars are even better for that.  They are full of wonderful colors, shapes, textures and we've had a ton of great discussions on how to describe things.  We've even created eBooks of some of them.

So before they disappear, send out a quick email, ask for any 2011 calendars that anyone has laying around and see what you can create!



Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers.