Monday, December 19, 2011

Not always technology...

I have to admit, this blog has focused a lot on technology over the few years I've written.  Partly because of my belief that it is a way to give children independence they would not have with out it, and also because I'm a geek.

On the other hand, I still have a ton of low-tech materials throughout my classroom.  As any special ed teacher will attest Velcro will save your lesson!  My instructional assistants and I are constantly laminating (and yes I consider this an adaptation!) and velcroing materials for lessons.  I mentioned one such adaptation on Twitter as part of the #eduwin campaign.

Below you'll find pictures of that adaptation.  It's really nothing special I just separated the day out into 4 parts, reducing the number of choices when checking the schedule.  A very simple adaptation for a student who liked to take from the middle of the schedule, no need for anything digital, but it was not something I thought of first.

Another point I want to make is that I had help in this adaptation.  Yes, it was a simple adaptation, but without the help of my instructional assistant (1 of 4 in my classroom), it never would have turned out this way.  I would have done is completely differently, and I'm afraid it wouldn't have been nearly as successful.  I know that having extra hands and minds in my classroom makes it a better place.



Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers.