Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Oh Baby!


Today's post will be the last for a little while, because we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first child! It's been a very exciting time and I can't wait to meet them (no, we don't know if it's a boy or girl!). So in that vein I thought I'd share some interesting things I've found while getting ready for the baby.

I've recently picked up a book called NutureShock: New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson. I'm pretty traditional in my views about raising children, but am always interested in new theories and such. This book is not about that, this book is about research. What does the research say about things like praise (we my overdo it), sleep (kids aren't getting enough), lying (all kids do it, especially teenagers), and sibling rivalry (Freud got it wrong). I've not finished the book, but really think it is something that every teacher, parent, or grandparent should read.

My best friend, writer, and stay-at-home dad started writing a blog - The Children are Revolting. Joe is actually my wife's friend from high school, but I've stolen him! He's been home raising his 2 boys for a little over 4 years now, and these boys are wonderful. He decided to chronicle a few of the more interesting things that have happened, please take a moment to check out his blog.

I will be back sometime this summer, once I've gotten a little sleep!

Patrick


Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons: fofurasfelinas


Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers