Monday, February 15, 2010

Cooperative Learning

So last Thursday was a day many teachers love, and loathe...a half day.  This day's agenda included students in the morning, and a presenter in the afternoon.  Quite unusually we had no idea who the presenter was, or what we would be hearing...so I had thought the worst, I was pleasantly surprised!  The agenda for the session was Cooperative Learning and I was worried that none of the content would apply to my students.  I listened intently as we learned about structures for - think, pair, share; RoundRobin & RoundTable; and numbered.... While all these structures would be very useful in general education classroom, I cannot see a way to use them effectively with students with more significant cognitive disabilities.

As the session continued I was very impressed by our speaker and the way she used us to demonstrate how to work cooperatively (as compared to listening to a lecture for 2 hours about 21st Century Skills, but I'm not getting into that one!).  She then started talking about some techniques for 2 students to use - one called Match Mine, the other Same/Different.

Same/Different is a structure where students look at sets of pictures and are asked to find similarities and differences between the sets of pictures.  A divider is placed up between the students so they cannot see each others boards so are forced to use language to identify the similarities and differences.  I can imagine a BINGO type board with lets say 9 squares, 6 of them have mammals.  Now we have 2 of these boards, some of the mammals would be the same, some different, and in different places.  The task of the students is to determine what animals are on the board & where they are located...the opportunity for language development is spectacular!  I can especially see using this with AAC users to help them increase their understanding of their devices. One of these sets of boards might look like this:



Match Mine is a similar concept: 2 students, a divider, and one student tells the other how to match what they have.  I can see this during a math lesson on time, or maybe have a student give a amount of coins and have the other student create the same.  Again this would be a great way to use language for students!

I hope I have some time to try these this week and if I do I'm sure I'll be sharing here!

Patrick

Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful?  Please forward it to them.  Did somebody forward this post to you?  Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free.  If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers