Sunday, January 31, 2010

#ATIA2010 - Orlando, Saturday

Saturday was a short day, but I was able to find some good sessions.  It seemed to be a day for Twitter as I was able to attend sessions by @briandowd & @assistivetek.

Brian Dowd, @briandowd, shared his experiences as Assistive Technologist for Alton School district (in Southern Illinois), as well as Region I & III in the same area.  One difficulty of his position is how large an area he has to service in a given week!  His solution, a Wiki, it allows teachers to get resources and ask questions.

Brian Friedlander, AssistiveTek, shared some technology supports for writing.  Now, I was unable to stay for the entire session (due to having to get ready for my presentation), but I did hear some very interesting points!  He spent some time talking about some of the new features of Inspiration - Drag & Drop editing, mind mapping, presentation mode, and more.  He also showed some of the ways that other programs, like Solo Suite 6, could integrate in to provide word prediction and such.

The last presentation I attended, well that would be my own!  I was very excited to again present at ATIA.  For those of you new to the blog it's about my idea to help my students with SCD research and present on a topic (for example desert animals).  You can see the presentation here - My Crazy Idea....

I'd like to take a moment to thank several folks for coming to the presentation (and not heckling) - Jeanette, Chris, Brian & especially Lisa, along with all the others who stayed around to the very end for my session.  It was a blast to present, and I can't wait to do it again.


Patrick


Share this

Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers