Friday, June 12, 2009

Reflections on a new year...

So today is the last day of the school year.  By the time most of you are reading this my students will be coming for the last hour of the 2008-2009 school year.  This year has been quite different for me, in many, many ways.  This was the year that I started writing this blog, it was also the year that I really started paying attention to social media, and started managing my PLN.

This was a year, where I started at a new school district. It was frightening, and I wasn't sure I had made the right decision.  Now I know, it was the right move for me.  I moved from a district where I constantly felt like I was not good enough, to a district which has treated me like a king.  I am so glad to have found this district, and can't believe the overwhelming support I've been given.

This was the year I discovered what true inclusion and acceptance was like.   It started with a simple thing, I don't take attendance.  That may seem like a little thing, but what it really and truly means is that my students homerooms are theirs, and they come to me to work, but socially have a connection not truly possible any other way.   I have difficult students and all my colleagues made an effort to help and include the students in every part of the day.   Taking it upon themselves to treat them as they would any other child that was in their classroom.

This was a year, with little drama, trouble or strife.  My kids were great, the administration worked with me, and I had wonderful instructional assistants who listened and supported my decisions (even if they disagreed from time to time).

This was a year, and in just 3 short months, I'll be back here again.  Starting all over, and planning for another great year. I can't wait!

Patrick

Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful?  Please forward it to them.  Did somebody forward this post to you?  Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free.   If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers

2 comments:

  1. well done! sounds a great year.
    I have two more teaching weeks to go followed by an admin week and then 5 weeks holiday.
    Do you have to work in your 3 monthbreak - it seems a long time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,

    Actually I'll be back to do Summer School for the month of July, but only 2.5 hours a day for 3 days a week. Just a refresher kinda thing. I'd actually prefer a year round schedule like yours.

    It is really a long time for most of our kids to be off, but not something I can change!

    ReplyDelete