Monday, April 13, 2009

Google Docs - for data collection



So I recently shared some ideas on how to use Google Docs to Collaborate with parents and related service providers. After setting this up, one of my instructional assistants said "couldn't we use that for data collection?" Hmmmm, well maybe...

I've been provided with a couple of iPod Touches in my classroom. I got to thinking, what if I paired the Touch with a Google form? Google makes it very easy to set up a simple form for survey's and such, and they link it to a spreadsheet to collect your data. I knew how to set this up, but would it work with the Touch. After sending the link to the Touch (by snycing the Safari bookmarks), and placing a link on the front screen of the Touch, we were set to try it.

Here's a link to the form that I created - Behavior Chart Example Form

And here's the link to the data sheet where the data will be collected - Behavior Chart Example

So, other than just for fun, what would I want to do this. Personally, I'm all for keeping digital copies, and not using paper. If you like to chart things, you don't have to transfer it from paper to your computer to create the chart. It's portable, a Touch is small enough to fit in a pocket and as long as you have Wi-Fi, you have access to your form. And lastly, it goes back to collaboration, but keeping it on Google Docs allows everyone to see the data. So far it's working great, but feel free to try it out for yourself!

Patrick

Photo courtesy of Flick Creative Commons: nickwheeleroz

Share this

Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers

7 comments:

  1. I'm introducing a digital photography class in our Outdoor School curriculum this year. Our first class is today. I'm using Google Docs to keep track of how well they understand vocabulary and basic concepts. Should be interesting; this is my first time at this. I'll be blogging it when I'm through...I desperately need some topics to blog about this spring. :-)

    Rick
    RickScheibner.net

    PS--please open up your comments to those outside of the Google/Blogger and OpenID realm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading about this on your blog! I appreciate your comment on opening up the comments, I have decided to do it, but that means I will moderate comments, if not it leaves me open to spammers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great website! Can you add me to your blog list? www.specialeducationteacher.me thanks so much for the help!
    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually used Google Docs spreadsheets for data collection in Science classes. Once each group of students has completed the data collection part of their experiment, they add their results to the class spreadsheet. We can then do analysis of these class data together.

    I like the idea of using a form, though, since the results will end up in a spreadsheet anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is awesome. i can't wait to try it. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, the form is working really well since what I'm recording is very objective! Combining it with the touch makes it very portable and extremely useful! It's working better than I had ever hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of mobile data collection Patrick. The easier we make collecting data, the easier it is to use data in the classroom for decision making. Thanks for sharing your example.

    I've recently been teaching students to self-monitor or self-manage their on-task behavior as well as their academic productivity using handheld/mobile computers - but the iPod Touch and iPhone are vastly superior to the handhelds of last year.

    ReplyDelete