Monday, March 30, 2009

My Crazy Idea...-Project Update


I feel as thought it's been so long since I've blogged, and it's really only been a week. I'm glad to have taken the break, and have enjoyed the time off from school. It's really time to get back to work and finish this year on a high note!

I wanted to take a moment to update some progress I've made on the research project the kids are working on. Just before break I made some discoveries that have changed the project slightly. I had been discussing my project with a 1st grade teacher, who had recently done a similar project with her students, and I realized I didn't know what the standards were for 1st and 2nd grade. In talking with this teacher I discovered that I may have become a little ambitious in the amount of work I wanted my students to complete. This was an important realization for myself, one I realized how disconnected I am from "General Education" as a whole. Even though I trained in both Special Education and General Education, I have never worked in a Gen Ed classroom, which leads me to my second realization - you always need a Gen Ed partner!!!! I realized that the majority of First grade students are required to write 4 sentences, 4 facts, in a research project. I had planned on my students learning several more than that, as evidenced by the Desert Animals Fact Worksheet I posted on Adapted Learning. This really made me sit back and take a look at my project, and reassess what I was asking students to learn, and make sure it was appropriate for their age level.

As I said this is a learning process for me, so the plan is to scale back a little. I will have the students fill out the worksheet, but then will use that worksheet to have them find the answer to 4 questions:

1. What does their animal look like?
2. Where do they live?
3. What do they eat?
4. Can you give 1 interesting fact?

This will form the base for our presentations that we will be sharing in the near future. I will keep you updated as the process continues. I hope those of you who had a recent break have a good week back, and for those of you getting ready for break enjoy your time off!

Patrick

Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons: CJ Sorg

Share this

Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers

No comments:

Post a Comment