Friday, May 17, 2013

Google Reader Replacements

If you are using Google Reader to follow blogs and other RSS feeds, I'm sure you are aware that it is shutting down on July 1, 2013.  I know that Google Reader was a big part of my daily routine, and personal learning network, but I think I've found a replacement.

I personally have chosen Feedly to replace my Google Reader.  It has a different interface, but after using it for a few days, it was as easy to navigate as Google Reader.  Here's a screen shot of what my Feedly looks like.


As you can see the layout is more like a magazine, with pictures and videos directly in the posts.  If you prefer an interface like Google Reader you can find it under the "all" option on the left side (where you pick the streams).  If you use your Google Reader login all your current subscriptions will transfer automatically!  To use Feedly you have to install it as an extension in Safari, Firefox or Chrome web browsers, and there are apps available for iOS, Android and Kindle.  What you read is synced across any device or computer you read them on.

If Feedly is not for you, there are some other options.  I would check out this post from Larry Ferlazzo on Google Reader Alternatives.   If you are interested in using RSS to follow this blog I would check out Feedly, or one of the alternatives, but as always you can come here to the site to read or subscribe by email (just look for the link on the right side of this blog).





Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers.