Saturday, May 1, 2010

Blogging Against Disablism - #BADD2010

Blogging Against Disablism Day, May 1st 2010I have amazing students! I know this is a strange way to start a post about Disablism, but it's the truth.  My students are constantly learning, for good or for worse, and I love it.  Some days I'm amazed by what they can read or maybe what they remember when communicating.  They amaze me with things I never thought they paid attention too and some days they amaze me with how they communicate.  Why is this amazing, because it tells me they can and are learning on a regular basis.  They know that if I don't respond one way, maybe I'll respond when they do it differently.

All this means to me, is that ALL students learn.  It may be something tiny, but they can and do learn.  Unfortunately, that is not always the case in schools.  I have seen to many cases of students shipped off because no one knew what to do with them, or just left alone because "it's just easier"!  Too many times have I been told that this student can't learn, they don't make progress, and it just kills me.  All students can learn, and they want to learn, sometimes it takes a little digging to find it!  We have to continue to dig and push all students.  I am and will continue to be an advocate for all children!

I will continue to be amazed by my students, even on those days when I feel that nothing I do is getting through, because I know, one day very soon, they will amaze me again!

Patrick


Share this

Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers