Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Frustration.... Confusion.... Annoyance...


I'm sitting right now, on lunch break from training. It's an odd time for me to write a post, but seemed appropriate some how. The training is for a reading program, and I'll probably be using it with a student or two in my classroom.


This reason for the post is just like the title - frustration, confusion, & annoyance. As I do at pretty much every training, workshop, etc... I've been to for about 3 years first thing I did was pull out my computer (before we started), check email, Twitter and get ready for the training. Then the trainer said this, go ahead and turn off you computer, we won't need it until later. At this point I'm at a loss for words. I would not think it to strange to say that I think of my computer as an Assistive Technology device, and integral to my learning. Now I'm not saying I couldn't absorb the information without it, but it does aide in my learning. I have horrible handwriting, hate paper (it's always getting lost!), and keep all my notes electronically. I politely informed her of these things, she stammered and gave in. At this point I'd like to mention that I was not the only teacher who felt this way, and several others had been annoyed at this comment too.


I guess where I'm coming from is the AT angle. We would never expect a student with physical disabilities to not use a wheelchair if that's what they needed. I guess in the long run I don't "need" my computer to learn, but shouldn't that be my choice? Shouldn't I have the option of using whatever I need to learn, just like we give our students all different ways to access curriculum (BTW-we were talking about ways to differentiate instruction for this program all morning). Just my feelings, feel free to share your own in the comments.




- Patrick


Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons: 1Happysnapper(is waiting its killing me )'s



Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers

6 comments:

  1. I empathize with the feelings that prompted this post, Patrick. I learn much better when I have a keyboard in front of me. This is probably not true of the majority of teachers. The sad thing is that most teachers expect all learners to learn as they do--even if they protest that this isn't so. It is this egocentric attitude that results in too many learners in classrooms everywhere being denied access to the learning tools and supports that they need.

    So, let's persevere. We have a big job ahead of us in our efforts to change the world of education!

    --Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad a I ran across this blog. My personal learning this summer concerned being more technologically savy. I too teach special education and have a yearly struggle with students' organization of papers. Would it really be that hard to go paperless for these kids (there is the issue of handouts I suppose)? Wouldn't it be easier to know where the assignment is (on the computer)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so hear you! I have to have my computer and my Blackberry at all times. Anything that I do not put on these two devises usually gets lost in the heaps of paper I have everywhere. I do not have enough hours in my day to write notes and then transfer them on to my computer later so that I will be able to save the files. I also type significantly faster than I write so I actually get more complete information down to refer to later when I'm typing.

    Its the old practice what you preach. No word of a lie I once went to a technology workshop and the presenter was using an overhead projector for her notes!

    For me, your post speaks loudly to what I personally see as the key piece to "Universal Design for Learning". We need to look at all learners and help them discover (or allow them ot discover as the case may be sometimes) the technologies that work for them personally. It seems acceptable to use gadgets to make life easier/more efficient/safer...etc. everywhere but in our learning. There are so many that still seem to think these gadgets are distractions rather than learning tools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick, first let me say I agree with you. Using the learning tools that work best for the student should be encouraged -- not just allowed -- in any classroom setting.

    However, to play devil's advocate, as an occasional trainer in professional life, I know that not all students are as honorable as you are. Sometimes course attendees have other work matters on their minds, they 'surf the web' or write emails instead of paying attention to the lecture. It is rude and certainly defeats the purpose of the training. Do you see this in your industry?

    Perhaps the instructor was not thinking that they were curbing your ability to learn the information, but rather trying to guarantee your attention. After all, computers have been the societal norm for note-taking for less than 10 years.

    All that being said, usually, when the course leader tells us all to close our notebooks, I politely leave it open, because I, like you, type instead of write.

    What do you think?
    --Mandy Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul - I believe that this is the type of paradigm shift that needs to take place in education as a whole.

    TGrant - Glad you are reading! Hope you find some useful information. I agree that paperless is the way to go for many students. 1:1 laptop initiatives are being implemented in many places, but not enough.

    Monica - That is the point I was trying to get across. UDL needs to be the norm, but at this time it's not.

    Mandy - This is an excellent point. I do agree that the trainer was attempting to keep attention to the task. And yes I know teachers who have been known to do these things, instead of paying attention. As a counterpoint, the afternoon session of this workshop we "watched" as the trainer demonstrated many portions of the website. Even though 75% of the people in the workshop had computers and could have participated with her, and not just watched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frustration, Confusion, Annoyance all these are things causes in unsuccessful of a person.

    ReplyDelete