Friday, October 29, 2010

#ATIA2010 - Thursday


Day 1 of ATIA is done and it went very well.  I started by giving my presentation - Bridging the Literacy Gap.  I wasn't sure how well an 8:00 session would be attended, but I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout.  Since this was the first time I had given the presentation, I have a few things to fix, but overall I was please with how it went, and the questions that were asked.

9:20-Working with Video-This session was led by Dan Herlihy.  While I've heard Dan's name before, this was my first chance to see him talk, and I was impressed.  He did a great job of sharing how to work with video, use different codecs, and gave great tools for converting videos!  He encouraged everyone to keep trying until different formats until it works - just play! (such a great message for us and our kids)

10:30 - One of the nice features of this conference is uninterrupted vendor time, that being said, 2.5 hours is a bit much.  The next sessions did not start until 1:15, so it was quite a break in the middle of the day.

1:15-Visual Strategies-This was a great session led by 2 wonderful professionals from Barrington School District here in the Chicago Burbs.  They had a lot of great ideas for creating schedules, visual supports, using color, and many other things.  They did a great job and while much of the discussion I knew, I did get some great resources for things to try!

2:35-Breaking all Barriers-Ira Socol, SpeEd Change, led a great session about changing our attitudes and eliminating barriers that keep kids from achieving.  He shared some great resources for Firefox Add-Ons that allow it to be more accessible to more students.  He share some great ideas and you can find it all here - ATIA 2010

I'm looking forward to more great sessions today, I'll presenting in just a few minutes with the lovely ladies from Aimee Solutions - Help for those Classrooms.   I'll keep posting my notes here.


Patrick

Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful?  Please forward it to them.  Did somebody forward this post to you?  Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free.  If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers