Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Classroom Management Software


Recently a conversation took place on Twitter between several individuals, @shareski, myself, & @mbjorgensen concerning Classroom Management Software.


The start of the conversation came from @shareski, who stated that "Never been excited about demos that show how to control or lock student computers. We can do better." This stuck a chord with me and I responded, "If we're always controlling what they see, when do they learn to think for themselves? Just my opinion!" From my recollection @mbjorgensen felt that there was a place for such software, and posted a response on his blog, Jorgie's Learning Blog.


I've read the post, and agree heartily, there is a place for such software, especially in a computer lab setting. I've not spent much time in computer labs, and actually never considered the uses for such software. I love projecting the monitoring software so that students can self-monitor! It also seems very useful to help students collaborate from across the room.


I do also want to admit that I took @shareski's comment a little differently than @mbjorgensen. When I read the original comment I was thinking about filtering type software. I do agree there are certain sites that are not for student use, but we also have to start teaching students to be intelligent consumers. There is a lot of bad stuff out on the net, if we filter everything students will never learn how to navigate safely on their own.


I want to end by saying, I respect and follow @mbjorgensen, but this is one of the limitations of a platform like Twitter. I think both @mbjorgensen, & myself had different takes on the same comment. Twitter is very useful, I constantly find new and exciting information on Twitter, but the conversation can be confused. Thank you Jorgie for your comments, and clarifications! Please check out @mbjorgensen at Jorgie's Learning Blog and @shareski at Ideas and Thoughts from and Educator.




Patrick


Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers

6 comments:

  1. I agree that Twitter has it's limits. But the up side is that the communication that was the equivalent of chatting in the hall turned in to two valuable posts about what can be done positively with Management Software. It's is interesting to see the common ground we stand on. I agree with you filtering for students does nothing to help them develop self control and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that we do need some filtering (I use OpenDNS), but we are in the business of educating students to think, and behave, for themselves.

    I also like computer lab monitoring software, although not it it's intrusive. It is sometimes nice to be able to have a quick look at all of their screens to see what they're working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the discussion regarding teaching students (& teachers) about thoughtful, directed use of the internet needs to be explored more. I also believe parents should be talking to their children about the realities of information that is available from all media. Trying to 'filter' or 'control' what is available through these media only exacerbates the issue. There will always be choices that people have to make. Its about teaching a child how to think for themselves, not thinking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really excited to see this discussion taking place. I agree with all the comments! Yes, Mr. Hay, some filtering is needed, there is content out there that no child needs to see.

    The reality is most parents are not educated about how to navigate the web effectively, and that's usually the reason we end up with blanket blocking of all sites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to Fritz,

    I would love to teach kids to make good choices on the web, in the library, and about the TV they watch. It's frustrating. It sometimes seems that the message is 'all information on the web is suspect' but if it's in a book go ahead and fill your head with whatever %$#&#@ you want.

    As long as there are mandates, legislation, and policies that require teachers to 'protect kids online' we will have to use filtering and monitoring software.

    I would love to help kids 'strap on the armor' instead of putting them in a fortress, but the other challenge is the kids who are determined to put themselves at risk. Parents want help to do that and sometimes having an effective tool for monitoring, halting, and preventing behavior that is outside the accepted norms of the parents of our students is highly useful.

    BTW glad to be part of such a great discussion on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspired thinking, I have bookmarked this and will come back to check
    bba

    ReplyDelete