Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My Crazy Idea... - Where do I start?

It took me quite a while to figure out how to make this project a success for my students. As I stated before my students are mostly receptive learners, and over the years I've become really good at taking a topic, and breaking it down into the simplest terms. I've created many, many books that share this information with students, and allows for easy questioning, and information retrieval.

While there is nothing wrong with this, I've always wanted to include my students more in their learning, which is where the idea came for this project. So I decided to start with a topic that the students are more interested in - animals, specifically desert animals.

So here's my plan, the students will pick an desert animal that interests them. Once they have picked an animal, the will use the internet and books to collect information about both the desert and their animal.

This was my first snag, when trying to plan for this project. I knew my students would not be able to read at such a level to complete the research. I knew myself and my assistants would need to read the research to the students, but do I give them ownership of this research. I decided to use this by having students pick and choose what they liked and don't like. Here's a picture of the response boards the students will be using.

This board will allow the students to answer simple questions, "Is that a fact about a coyote?", "Do you like it?", etc... This is the ownership, this is the way students get to express themselves.

So the first part of the project will be completely student driven. They can pick and choose pictures, facts, and other such things that they like, they are in charge. With that being said, I feel there needs to be a little direction in this area, but that's a post for another day.

Patrick

Share this

Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. If you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers

No comments:

Post a Comment