Thursday, March 12, 2009

Creative Social Stories

There have been several additions to Diigo for comic strip creation sites. While I've not used them, I've always thought they would be a great way to create social stories for some kids. So I've take a look at a few of them, and here's what I think:



Strip Generator has a great interface and some interesting looking characters, an easy to use interface, and is pretty intuitive. As you can see I created a simple strip, and it took me about 5 min. The sites does limit you to their pre-selected items. They have humans, beings, objects, shapes and bubbles. You are limited to 3 frames, and if a student doesn't respond to line drawings this might not be a good choice for you.



Make Belief Comix is another very easy to use site for creating comic strips. You are again limited to 3 frames and the characters they have provided. One neat feature is that you can change the characters emotion! This I think would be helpful in creating a story for a student.


While not specifically a site to create comic strips the Story Creator allows you to create a story with sound. It includes sound effects as well as the ability to record your voice. The characters are limited to "myth" type characters and the theme is to create fairy tale or legends, but a powerful tool.



Toon Do is my favorite tool in this post. Toon do does require registration, but for good reason. It has more characters, objects, speech bubbles, etc... then any of the other sites combined! It again has a very easy to use interface, and even allows you to create different frames (not just the typical 3 frame). This tool would really allow you to create stories very specific to a student.


Well I hope I've inspired you to check this out and take a moment to create your own story. If you have any you'd like to share, leave me a comment with the link to your comic strip!




- Patrick


Share this
Do you know somebody else who would find this post interesting or useful? Please forward it to them. Did somebody forward this post to you? Visit Teaching All Students and subscribe to receive posts for free. I f you need a tutorial please visit this post: RSS Readers

No comments:

Post a Comment