Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Remnant Book

I was at a workshop yesterday and one idea brought up was called a Remnant book. I'd never heard about this idea. They explained it as a journal for students, but instead of writing or pictures, it included an item. The students were asked to bring in an item that represented something they did over the weekend, parents were asked to write a small note to explain the significance. One student brought in a napkin to represent that he set the table. I immediately thought of the power of this. Students could have a representation that they could then use to write and communicate about. It's always said that if it's not personal students will not be as involved. I just think this is a really interesting strategy to help keep students engaged.

Patrick

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patrick!
    I've used remnant books and boxes for years. I first learned about them working with kids with dual sensory impairments. Now we always take a bag with us on outings just to pick up "stuff." We use our collections to discuss the outing, send them home with kids to share with parents, etc. I've also used the concept to make a simple recipe book (making pudding in this case) and creating schedules. Thanks for sharing the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great idea, I've always taken pictures on trips, but never thought to take things. Guess I'll have something new to do on my trips!

    ReplyDelete